I really enjoy reading about the different ways people earn side income. I have a few different side hustles, but the one I’ve been doing the longest and enjoy the most is judging gymnastics. For the last 14 years I’ve been earning a nice side income as a gymnastics judge, and I’m here today to tell you all about it!
I became a gymnastics judge in 2000. At the time I was volunteer coaching and had no clue why certain routines received certain scores. That’s when I decided to take a judging course. I spent an entire summer immersed in the rules of my favorite sport. At the end of the summer I passed my first judging exam and by fall I was judging meets. I haven’t stopped since and I consider it my perfect side hustle.
In honor of the “Perfect 10″ here are 10 reasons being a gymnastics judge a perfect side hustle.
1. I basically get paid to watch my favorite sport!
2. It’s a great way to stay involved in the sport and contribute to the gymnastics community.
3. The schedule is flexible. I choose the meets I wish to judge.
4. It’s a perfect amount of involvement. I’m not an over-worked stressed out gym owner or coach (although I did coach for 10 years!) It’s low stress. It’s fun! It’s also not year round. I typically judge September through April.
5. I’ve made amazing friends.
6. It pays well.
7. It’s opened up new opportunities. My experience as a judge has helped me get clinician and consulting jobs.
8. I like navy blue (the color we’re required to wear).
9. I like using my knowledge for good. I enjoy giving coaches and gymnasts helpful advice and tips when asked.
10. It helps me get through Vermont winter! The winter is long here and it’s a fun indoor activity that helps the cold days pass a little quicker.
What is your perfect side hustle?
Have any gymnastics related questions?